Pages

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Patience, Devotion & Faith - Sutra 1:14

Patience, Devotion & Faith

 
          I relocated to Texas for a few months and I'm feeling like I need to ground myself, quickly.  I'm looking forward to spending time with my family down here and checking out a part of the country that I'm not that familiar with.  I like to move around and I now tell people that I'm bi-continental because I live between the U.S. and Ghana in West Africa.  I like it too much :) Moving around disrupts the consistency of my practice sometimes so I have to be super mindful to bring it back to center.  I try not to be hard on myself when the inconsistency kicks in but I do need to honor my commitment to myself  which means daily practice.  So today I'm starting with The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, Translation & Commentary by Sri Swami Satchidananda -
 
Book 1:14 (Samadhi Pada)
 
Practice becomes firmly grounded when well attended to for a long time, without break and in all earnestness.
 
*The first qualification for the practice is that it should be done for a long time.  Unfortunately, we just want the result immediately.
*So it must be continuous practice also.
*And the last qualification: in all "earnestness." That means with full attention, with the entire application of your mind, and with full faith in your achievement.
 
"So let us not be like little children who sow a seed today and dig it up tomorrow to see how much the root went down.  We need all these three qualities: Patience, Devotion and Faith."
 
LoveLee
 


No comments:

Post a Comment