Pages

Monday, March 31, 2014

Chia Seeds

           Who knew? Who knew that one day the plant pets that we know & love so much, would one day be such a powerful nutritional resource.  So as you can see I picked up a bag from Trader Joe's & it cost around $4 something.   

 

I started incorporating them in my diet by throwing the seeds in my eggs and other random dishes like lentils.  Then I decided to do the "porridge" recipe.  I don't know if it really constitutes being a porridge but that's what I like to call it.  I just soaked some seeds in almond milk for about 30ish minutes and it started to become gel-like.  I didn't add any spices or sugar and it was surprisingly good.  Next time I'll add some fruit but its a good base to add almost anything to.  Loving it!


           I'm transitioning to a more plant based diet and Chia seeds are a great source of protein, containing 3grams per tbsp. They also provides 2.9g of Omega-3 fatty acids and 6g of fiber.  Studies are also being done to determine the potential of using chia seeds to treat type 2 diabetes.   Good stuff.  

Enjoy!

LoveLee



No comments:

Post a Comment